Thursday, June 20, 2013

"7 Men And The Secret Of Their Greatness" Book Review

"7 Men And The Secret Of Their Greatness" was written by Eric Metaxas.  The author is a best selling author who has written several biographies incliding "Bonhoeffer". The author has chosen 7 men to serve as role models for men and those becoming men. We all need role models to inspire us and young people today certainly need men of great character and purpose to look up to.  Many of the roles models today; athletes and movie stars don't cut it.  Many of them don't even want to be role models.

I learned much about the seven men who were chosen as the role models for this book.  For instance I didn't know that Eric Little became a missionary. It was very a very interesting read. 

The 7 men written about are:

1.George Washington
2.William Wilberforce
3. Eric Liddell
4. Dietrich Bonhoeffer
5. Jackie Robinson
6. Pope John Paul II
7. Charles W. Colson

While the choosing of the 7 men are the author's prerogative, not all of them would have been mine. I would not have chosen Pope John Paul II, but I am an evangelical Christian.  I also would not have chosen Chuck Colson, although he was a great man. I can think of others I would place ahead of him. But again, this is personal opinion.  The reader would have his own ideas and I think this debate makes it even more interesting.

I recommend this book to any man and think it would be very helpful for those approaching manhood to read.  Character is the need of the hour and the secret to greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment