Friday, March 18, 2016

"MY God, My God why hast thou forsaken Me?"

In the garden, the first Adam forsook God. On the cross, the second Adam is forsaken by God to redeem for Himself the fallen sons of Adam.  However, this Father’s forsaking was not one of unfaithfulness but of justice and to accomplish a greater purpose.

Additionally, the second Adam took on the first Adam’s nakedness and shame so Adam’s fallen seed could one day be redeemed, and clothed in righteousness.

Jesus addressed God in this moment. He spoke to His Father three times from the Cross. Two of those times, Jesus called Him, “Father” but not this time. No, here Jesus calls Him “God.” It’s as if you were to walk up to your father and address Him as “Mister” rather than “Dad” or “Daddy.” So there IS a separation-an alienation here. God has forsaken-DESERTED-His Son.

Jesus said those words so that you wouldn’t have to. Jesus cried out, “My God, My God why have you forsaken me” so that those very words would never have to be spoken by you. And you know, I think this is the greatest thing about being a Christian-I am never forsaken by God. I am never alone. He is always with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment